1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

Discussion in 'Special & Novelty Betting' started by Punter, Dec 23, 2011.

1. slick

slick Administrator

That's an excellent point Colbro considering cycling has now been dragged through the gutter, compare that to whiter than white Ennis and Mo Farah so to speak I'd say it brings them right back into the picture.
    More so than Murray I'd say because the Olympics generated huge public Interest, I know Murray also got a gold medal but the Olympics are automatically associated with athletics which should swing it for either of them.
    If Murray had won Wimbledon rather than the US open then that would have given him the edge imo.
  2. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Didn't Murray refuse to play Davis Cup even when it was held in Glasgow? I would have thought this latest hospitalisation incident would have guaranteed the award to Wiggins.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

What? No conspiracy theory Steve? You should be ashamed of yourself.

It's obvious to me that the whole crash thing has been set up by Wiggins in order to land the SPOTY award.
  4. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Wiggins will piss it now especially when he arrives at the ceremony on crutches and cannot compete in the novelty cycling challenge to light 100 light bulbs
  5. slick

slick Administrator

I didn't think dynamo's were still fashionable keggers.

I'm still not so sure considering all the bad press cycling has had, after the TDF I thought it was a shoe in but the more I think about it the more I'm beginning to edge towards Mo, he's out to near 7's now on betfair which is very tempting.
  6. stereoman

stereoman Member

Yesterday's Bettingzone Market News:

1400: Coral have trimmed favourite Bradley Wiggins from 4/7 to 1/2 to win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, after taking a number of bets on the Tour de France and Olympic Time Trial champion.

It has recently been announced that third favourite Andy Murray will not be attending and his odds have doubled to 6/1 as a result.

"With Murray's chances of winning reduced by his absence, punters are piling into Wiggo, the momentum is definitely with the Sky rider," said Coral spokesman Gary Burton.

Wiggins is currently a best of 4/7 with William Hill, Stan James, Ladbrokes and Paddy Power, while totesport and Betfred offer 15/2 about Murray.

Splitting the pair is Mo Farah at 5/1 with bet365, Jessica Ennis is a general 10/1 shot and it's 33/1 bar.
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Shorlist has been announced.....

The 2012 shortlist includes:
    *Jessica Ennis, 26, won gold in the heptathlon at the Olympics. Despite the pressure of being dubbed the face of London 2012, the Sheffield star won gold when she clocked a British points record of 6,955 and set the fastest-ever heptathlon time in the 100m hurdles.
    *Andy Murray, 27, has enjoyed a successful year as the world number 3, and British number 1. The Glasgow-born tennis ace won the US Open, his first major grand slam tournament. He also won gold in the Olympics men's singles along with silver in the mixed doubles.
    *Sir Chris Hoy, 36, won two gold medals at London 2012 making him Britain's most successful winner with six gold medals in total. The Edinburgh-born cyclist won gold in the team sprint and the keirin at the London Olympics where he was also honoured as Team GB's flag bearer for the opening ceremony.
    Sir Chris also won gold in the keirin in the World Track Cycling Championships - his 11th world title.

*Mo Farah, 29, joined athletics greats such as Zatopek, Kuts, Viren and Bekele as winner of the Olympic 5,000 and 10,000 metres double in London. He thrilled the home crowd with powerful finishes over the last lap to become the first Briton to win gold medals over both distances. Gutsy Somali-born Farah spent most of his early life in Djibouti and arrived in London when he was eight to join his father. Farah's story from the poverty-stricken streets of Somalia to top-flight athletics is one that serves as an inspiration, both in Britain and his place of birth. Farah currently lives in Portland, Oregon, with his wife Tania, daughter Rihanna and new twin daughters.
    *Ben Ainslie, 35, is now a four-time Olympic champion. His victory at London 2012 in the Finn class saw him overtake Denmark's Paul Elvstrom as the world's most successful Olympic sailor. He now has four golds from successive Games plus a silver in the Laser class at the 1996 Olympics in his trophy cabinet. He is also a 10-time World champion and has won the European title nine times. Ainslie had the honour of being Team GB's flag bearer for the London 2012 Olympic Closing Ceremony and was picked to run the first leg of the London 2012 torch relay. Ainslie, who was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire, and lives in lives in Lymington, Hampshire, is now preparing to try and win the America's Cup.
    *Sarah Storey, 35, won four golds at London 2012 to become Britain's most decorated female Paralympian with 11 titles in total. She won her fourth gold at London 2012 with a dominant display in the C4-5 Road Race at Brands Hatch to add to the C5 individual pursuit, C4-5 500m time trial and C5 individual time trial titles at the Games. Storey had been fast-tracked into Britain's Swimming team for the 1992 Paralympics at the age of 14 and brought home two gold, three silver and a bronze medal on her Paralympic debut.
    The former swimmer switched to cycling in 2005. With eight silver medals and three bronze in total from a 20-year career Storey has now surpassed former wheelchair racer Baroness Grey-Thompson's collection of 11 golds, four silvers and one bronze as Britain's most successful female Paralympian. Storey lives in Disley, Cheshire.

*Nicola Adams, 30, of Leeds, Yorkshire, created Olympic history by becoming the first woman to win a boxing gold medal. She won flyweight gold in stunning style and is now, complete with a beaming smile, a role model for a new generation of fight fans and women in sport.
    *Rory McIlroy, 23, the Northern Ireland golfer, established himself as world number 1, topping the money list in Europe and the United States. He won the USPGA Championship by eight shots in August, his second major victory.
    He was a key member of the European Ryder Cup team which beat the US at Medinah and became the first European to win four USPGA Tour events in a season.

*Ellie Simmonds, now 18, won gold in the 200m SM6 individual medley and 400m S6 freestyle at the London 2012 Paralympics. She also won silver in the 100m S6 freestyle and bronze in the 50m S6 freestyle. Simmonds was one of Britain's most successful swimmers in Beijing 2008 where, aged just 13, she brought home two gold medals in the S6 100m freestyle and the S6 400m freestyle, making her the youngest ever Briton to win an individual gold medal at a Paralympic Games. Simmonds, who was born in Walsall but trains in Swansea, was born with achondroplasia or dwarfism.
    *David Weir, 33, of Wallington, Surrey, sealed his place as one of the most formidable wheelchair athletes in the world by winning four golds at London 2012. The wheelchair racer from Wallington, Surrey, won gold in T54 800m, 1500m, 5,000m and marathon at the London Paralympics to go alongside the two golds he picked up in the Beijing 2008 Paralympics.
    *Katherine Grainger, 37, finally won gold at the 2012 Olympics after a heartbreaking streak of coming second at the three previous Olympic Games. World champions Grainger and Anna Watkins had no problem hauling themselves to victory in the women's double sculls at Eton Dorney. The success of the Glasgow-born rower was one of the heart warming stories of the Olympics.
    *Bradley Wiggins, 32, created history this summer by becoming the Tour's first British winner of the Tour de France. Just 10 days later he stormed home to win Olympic gold in the men's time trial. Wiggins has now won seven Olympic medals, including four golds. Wiggins of Chorley, Lancashire, has now returned to training after he was knocked off his bike on November 8.
  8. stereoman

stereoman Member

Yesterday evening's Bettingzone Market News:

1915: Sky Bet go 7/1 that a woman will win the 2013 Sports Personality of the Year award after five were named on the shortlist.

Bradley Wiggins heads the market at 2/5 and is a best of 4/9 with Betfred following his Tour de France and Olympic triumphs, with fellow Olympic heroes Mo Farah 4/1 (5/1 Ladbrokes) and Andy Murray 15/2 (9/1 general) second and third favourites respectively.

Heptathlon gold medallist Jessica Ennis is rated as the most likely female winner at 8/1 (10/1 general) with Ellie Simmonds (66/1), Sarah Storey (200/1), Katherine Grainger (200/1) and Nicola Adams (250/1) all considered significant outsiders.
    Sky Bet’s Phil Charlton said: "Ennis is the only female we really consider as a realistic contender but it is a far cry from last year when not a single female was on the list.

"Wiggins has been by far the most popular selection despite being favourite ever since he added Olympic gold to his Tour de France triumph, with his price currently at its shortest to date."

Shortlist (in alphabetical order): Nicola Adams (Olympic boxing), Ben Ainslie (Olympic sailing), Jessica Ennis (Olympic heptathlon), Mo Farah (Olympic 5,000m and 10,000m), Katherine Grainger (Olympic rowing), Sir Chris Hoy (Olympic cycling), Rory McIlroy (world number one golfer and USPGA champion), (Andy Murray, Olympic tennis and US Open champion), Ellie Simmonds (Paralympic swimming), Sarah Storey (Paralympic cycling), David Weir (Paralympic wheelchair athlete), Bradley Wiggins (Olympic cycling and Tour de France winner).
  9. Punter

Punter Moderator

Ellie Simmonds, 50/1 with Paddy Power WITHOUT Wiggins. Could save my SPOTY? :crossfingers
  10. stereoman

stereoman Member

This afternoon's Bettingzone Market News:

1450: More on Sports Personality and Jessica Ennis is proving popular with punters.

Sky Bet have described a "late plunge" on the Olympic heptathlon champion, while William Hill have revealed more bets, in terms, of numbers, have been placed on her than any of the other 11 contenders.

Ennis has attracted 17 per cent of the firm's bets with Andy Murray next on 13 per cent, followed by odds-on title favourite Bradley Wiggins (12 per cent).

"The odds suggest that Bradley has got the Sports Personality sewn up but in recent years only half of our favourites have won. Jess, Mo and Andy had extraordinary Olympics and you write them off at your peril," said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.

Sky Bet trader Phil Charlton added: "If it comes down personality then Ennis still has a wealth of backers. She was the face of Team GB in the London Olympics and has always done well in the competition not only for her outstanding achievements in track and field but also for her popularity away from the sporting arena.

"The level of her support is growing all the time, while the likes of Mo Farah and Andy Murray are drifting."

Charlton's firm are keeping her firmly onside at 11/2. Ennis is currently a best of 15/2 with 188sport.

Wiggins has been pushed out to 4/11 with bet365 but three of the last six favourites have failed to win the trophy.
  11. Punter

Punter Moderator

I've taken some 50, 40 and 33/1 about Ellie Simmonds without Wiggins, and a decent bet @ 8/1 Corals about a top 3 finish. I think the beeb will encourage a paralympian in the final 3, is there a running order yet? I just think she'll recieve a lot of support on the night.

Edit: Just talked myself in to covering David Weir with top 3 finish @ 8/1 too
  12. stereoman

stereoman Member

Hmmm. Today's Bettingzone Market News:

1425: It's one-way traffic in the Sports Personality betting right now as the money continues to flow for Jessica Ennis.

Long-term favourite Bradley Wiggins is now out to 8/13 with Ennis no better than YouWin's 4/1 to pick up the trophy this evening.

William Hill and BetVictor are into 11/4 about the Olympic heptathlon champion who was offered at a best of 12/1 at the start of the week.

=============

I thought the Jessica Ennis gamble was more-or-less dead in the water but I'll be stunned if she does win now. It's an informed gamble or a very hopeful one.

Some 'big gambles' about must be getting nervous especially that punter apparently putting £20k at 2/7 with William Hill on Bradley Wiggins to win.

A small irony if Bradley Wiggins doesn't win tonight.but Chris Froome wins next year's Tour de France and wins BBC SPotY by 'default'.

EDIT: Spotted this over at Paddy Power...who will finish last in the votes?

Sarah Storey 'evens'
    Katharine Grainger 6/5
    Nicola Adams 4/1
    Ben Ainslie 7/1
    Rory McIlroy 10/1
    Chris Hoy 25/1
    Ellie Simmonds 25/1
    David Weir 50/1
    Andrew Murray 225/1
    Bradley Wiggins 500/1
    Jessica Ennis 500/1
    Mo Farah 500/1

Meh. It will probably be one of Storey or Grainger but there's a small wait for the figures to be released that would be a little bit frustrating.
  13. stereoman

stereoman Member

The winning order:

1. Bradley Wiggins
    2. Jessica Ennis
    3. Andy Murray (who handily is in Miami with Lennox Lewis)

1.5 million votes!? OOOH!!

EDIT: The voting figures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20748902

Those backing Jessica Ennis gave it a mighty good go but those backing Bradley Wiggins weren't to be denied.
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

A great year of sport but I've had me arse kicked here this time.
  15. slick

slick Administrator

We would have all done OK had ODM not talked the forum out of backing Wiggin's:lol
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol Yeah, like anyone ever listens to me:lol

All I've heard this week is people burbling on about buying someone his book for xmas presents. I still thing the bloke looks like a reject from a Jam tribute band and I have the same interest in cycling now as I had a year ago (that's zero in case anyone was wondering). I wouldn't read the fucker if I was chained to a radiator with Terry Waite.